70 Conversation Starters for Social Media Engagement
Have you ever posted something on social media and nothing happens? You might feel like it’s a waste of time because no one ever responds to what you post. Or maybe you feel like you’re just contributing to the noise online and everyone simply tunes you out.
Social media outlets have hundreds of millions of users worldwide, and each outlet wants their users to see posts that they will find interesting. So to make this possible, they use something called algorithms.
An algorithm is like a filter - it keeps the posts that people aren’t responding to out while letting the popular posts through.
So how do you actually get your posts seen and in your audience’s news feed? One effective and simple way to do that is by asking questions that require a quick and easy answer.
Most people are scrolling through their news feed very quickly. But if something catches their eye and doesn’t require a lot of time or thought, they will most likely respond.
The more likes, comments, shares, retweets, etc., your post gets, the algorithms will see that people are interested and will make your post more visible.
This is why incorporating engaging posts is so important to your overall social media strategy - it ensures that your posts are seen. So when it comes time to post something about your book or provide an incentive to sign up for your newsletter, the post will appear in news feeds and you’ll get a much stronger response.
So what kinds of questions should you ask? What kinds of “conversation starters” should you share? To make the process easier, I’ve provided you with 70 to get you started. They are fun, informative, and quick questions that will breathe new life into your social media outlets.
- What part of the world are you in?
- What are you currently reading?
- iPhone or Android?
- If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
- Dog lover or cat lover?
- What one thing would you tell your 20 year old self?
- Who is your idol?
- When you were little, what did you dream about becoming when you grew up?
- What movie, book, or tv show could you live in?
- What is your favorite easy dinner?
- How do you de-stress?
- Do you have pets? What are their names?
- What’s your favorite way to waste time?
- Chocolate or vanilla?
- What is your current favorite song?
- Do you listen to music while you work?
- How many hours per week do you tend to work on average?
- What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- Cake or pie?
- Toilet paper - over or under?
- Do you keep your cell phone with you in the bedroom at night?
- What are you grateful for today?
- What is the best book you've read recently?
- Do you prefer the city or country (urban or rural)?
- Where were you born?
- Have you ever lived in another country?
- What is your current favorite TV show?
- What was the last great movie you saw?
- Would you rather sit or stand all day?
- Windows or Mac?
- Does technology simplify life or make it more complicated?
- What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?
- What’s the best thing that happened to you last week?
- What are some things you’ve had to unlearn?
- Who inspires you to be better?
- What is the highest level of education you’ve achieved, and what was it in?
- What did you think you would grow out of but haven’t?
- If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?
- What is something you can never seem to finish?
- What is one of your favorite smells?
- If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?
- What is something that your friends would consider “so you”?
- What are you really good at, but kind of embarrassed that you are good at it?
- If you could have any animal as a pet, what animal would you choose?
- If you could bring back one TV show that was canceled, which one would you bring back?
- What food do you know you shouldn’t eat but can’t help yourself?
- If you could call up anyone in the world and have a one-hour conversation, who would you call?
- What superpower would you like to have?
- What do you wish your brain was better at doing?
- What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?
- What age do you wish you could permanently be?
- What job would you be terrible at?
- What was the best movie you’ve seen recently?
- What’s your favorite podcast?
- Do you listen to talk radio or music during your commute?
- What stereotype do you completely live up to?
- What could you do with two million dollars to impact the most amount of people?
- If you had a theme song, what song would it be? Why?
- What song always puts you in a good mood?
- CD, vinyl, or streaming music?
- What’s the best way to travel? (Plane, car, train, etc.)
- Window or aisle seat?
- What is the craziest, most outrageous thing you want to achieve?
- Time freezes for everyone but you for one day. What do you do?
- What are you listening to today?
- What did you study in college and what do you do now?
- What three words best describe you?
- What are the three best apps on your phone?
- Coke or Pepsi?
- Do you prefer to read print or digital books?
This simple approach will help get conversations rolling, build engagment, and increase your visibility on social media. If you have other suggestions, leave them in the comments below!